You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Planning ahead and Malaysia

With a busy week for Jim coming up, I decided to plan our dinners for the week. Why is Jim going to be busy, you ask? He and a co-worker are in the final stages of planning a training seminar that they will be teaching in Malaysia. Yes, Malaysia! And guess who's flying over with him? Go ahead, take a wild guess. If said me, you're correct. I'm going to fly halfway around the freakin' world to see Malaysia! Woot! I'm just a little excited, ha!

So back to the weekly dinner planning. The lineup looks like this:
Sunday (tonight): Mexican Braised Pork
Monday: Pizza (home made, Jim's specialty, plus I work late that night and it's something Jim can make in his sleep)
Tuesday: leftover Mexican Braised Pork
Wednesday: Lasagna (mom and I made little two serving lasagnas when she was here and we popped them in the freezer for quick meals)
Thursday: Salad and leftover pizza
Friday: a stir-fry with chicken and veggies
Saturday: A light snack before we head to a friend's place for a party. (which I will be making some goodies for)

Now back to Malaysia! Yes, almost a year ago Jim and a coworker (who Jim has worked with for most of the 9 1/2 years we've lived in DC) found out that two people from their office would be going to Malaysia. The lucky two would teach their counterparts in the Malaysian government to collect and use the same type of data Jim's office does. When Jim and his co-worker were selected, he was thrilled. Not only will be an honor to do this training but the opportunity to see the country was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I plan to fly over two days before his class ends but actually land the day after the class - it's a long ass flight. We went back and forth about where in this beautiful country to see and as of now, I believe we've narrowed it down to these places: Melaka (or Malacca) where the training will take place, Singapore, Borneo (Sarawak region) and Kuala Lumpur. Other places we toyed with were Tioman Island (where the movie South Pacific was filmed), the other side of Borneo - Sabah, and Penang. If we had a month, we'd be able to do it all but as it is, cramming this into two weeks will be plenty.

There will be tons to write about when we get back, especially the night markets where food stalls galore sell some of the country's best food. It will be an amazing trip and if anyone of my readers have ever been to or actually live there, any advice you can lend would be greatly appreciated.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Wow! What an opportunity. I can't wait to hear about your adventures! Take a lot of pictures for us.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

I'm so envious. Can't wait to see your "report!"

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you Barbara and I can't wait to hear EVERYTHING about your Malaysian food experience-so Anthony Borudain but probably minus the excessive booze and snark ;-) Have a wonderful trip!
Cheers,
Ramona

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!!! what fun!

do you get motion sickness at all when you fly? You might want to pop a Dramamine(sp?) before you leave.

The last time I flew, out of nowhere, I got so incredibly sick from the motion of the plane it took every once of strength to not upchuck on my fellow passengers. I am really hoping you don't have motion sickness issues like I do! LOL :)

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home