You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bebo Trattoria - Revisited

I wanted to get some pictures of the food at Bebo and we had the opportunity to do so tonight. I arrived around 6:30, found a seat at the bar and ordered a glass of wine while I waited for Jim. It was a Merlot but I found it to be thin and not as tasty as ones I've had in the past. I much prefer the Barbera Camanati (?) featured on the wine list.

When Jim arrived, we ordered two items off the bar menu (little plates) and one appetizer from the dinner menu.
First was the Fried Saffron Risotto Balls. Four to an order, these were crunchy on the outside and golden brown. Cut one in half and you find the deep saffron risotto, tender, creamy and rich. Yum. Using the Biscuit Scale (1 to 4 biscuits) this dish was a solid 3 biscuits.

The next little dish was a frittata that I forgot to write down, but I remember it has sweet onions and cheese. It was eggy as a frittata should be with the sweet onions being the second most dominant flavor. It was ok but not a favortite. Biscuit rating: 2.5

The appetizer from the dinner menu was the raw veal dish we thoroughly enjoyed a few nights ago. It's called Carne Cruda all'Albese. And it was a spectacular as it was on Friday night. Paper thin veal covered with mushrooms, parmesan cheese and celery tops. The it has an olive oil and lemon dressing drizzled over it. Delish! Biscuit rating: 4 biscuits

Since the place wasn't so crowded, we decided to stick around and try an entree each.

I got the risotto of the day which was a four cheese risotto. I should have stirred it up before I took a picture of it as the top began to crust over. And when I did stir it up, the flavor wafted up and was outrageous. I dug in right away and loved it. Rich, smooth and just a touch al dente (unlike the crunchy undercooked risotto I got at Restaurant Eve a couple of months ago). Jim kept sneaking forkfuls of it which I was fine with since I knew I couldn't finish it all by myself. In fact, even with his help, I still took about a quarter of it home.......lunch tomorrow! Biscuit rating: 3.5 biscuits.

Jim ordered Linguine con Vongole- a flat spaghetti with a sauce of clams and garlic. What a light refreshing dish! Simple yet tasty. I even ate a clam (which is probably only the second one I've ever eaten). We managed to finish this dish. Biscuit rating: 3.5 biscuits.
To add a little veg to our meal, we ordered the Broccoli Rabe as a side dish.

With no room for dessert, even though they tempted us as we saw many leaving the kitchen, we decided to call it a night.


One word on the service, it's still got a few kinks to work out. First off our bartender was great. He was professional and friendly and when our dinner order took longer than expected he was gracious and apologetic. We didn't mind as we were enjoying our wine and a nice quiet evening. There still seems to be some disconnect between the servers and the kitchen but it was far better than it was on Friday. They're working so hard at getting things right. And the food is just too damn good not to go back.
Before we left, I was able to snap a quick shot into the kitchen and got Roberto Donna in action.


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger s'kat said...

Yum, yum yum! You are making me pine for Italy all over again... or at least a local place that does it up right.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Oh yeah, the food here is so good and it's only a 15 minute drive.
I just ate my leftover risotto today at work and everyone kept commenting on how great it smelled. (tasted great too)

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I went there last week. We were a bit dissappointed. The wait staff seemed a bit too aloof, the food was good but not great. Actually, the food was not near as good as we felt it should have been. I got the Quail and the poor devils look like someone deboned them using a bread knife. My wife's pasta was undercooked.

We are planning to go back in a month to see if we were getting first week problems. In addition. the pizza oven isn't in yet, the room still looked more like Oyamel, and there was clearly a number of the pieces that pull the restaurant together missing.

Given there are number of restuarants at that price point that are really good, but not Italian, my hope is that it gets better quick or I'll be waiting for the reopening of his other places.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home