You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Peach Upsidedown Cake













My in-laws were up from Chattanooga last week and while here, my mother-in-law went to the Mt. Vernon Farmer's Market and bought some fresh peaches and corn on the cob. We ate a few of the peaches but still had about a half dozen that were ripen fast. Hmmm...What could I do with them? A peach cobbler first came to mind. Last summer I made several with peaches purchased at the Farmer's Market. But that would be too easy, I wanted something different. Aha! How about a Peach Upsidedown Cake? Biscuit Boy loves pineapple upsidedown cake so odds were in my favor that he would also like one made with peaches.

I got out our trusty, well seasoned iron skillet and got busy. I prepped the pan with butter and brown sugar and began slicing up the peaches. That's when I ran into a little snag......I had more peaches than I could fit into the skillet. The solution.....pull out a baking dish and make a second cake. Darn, two cakes. I could think of worse problems to have.

So I whipped up both cakes, popped them in the oven while Biscuit Boy cooked dinner. He fixed some really delicious sesame crusted pork chops. He cut the corn from the cob, cooked it in skillet with some olive oil and garlic. He also fixed some sliced zucchini and mushrooms. Dinner was sooooooo good. And now I'm eyeing one of those cakes with lust in my eyes. I think I'll go have a slice.

Peach Upside Down Cake

¼ cup butter
½ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and halved
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
1 egg
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk

Melt ¼ cup butter or margarine in an 8 inch square pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and nutmeg. Arrange peach halves, cut side down, in pan.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spread batter over peaches.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Remove cake from oven, and let stand in pan for 5 minutes; invert onto serving platter. Serve with whipped cream.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home