You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Chicken and Ricecakes

While my dad was here, we were a bit indulgent, dinner at Ray's the steaks, fish and chips at Eamonn's and lots of beer consumption on the part of Jim and dad. This is usually the case when we have friends and family come up to visit. We take them out to our favorite places most every night they are here then repent and eat at home once they go home. So true to form, we are trying to get back to eating at home this week including getting in more veggies.

Last night we had a veggie stir fry consisting of Brussels sprouts, Chinese long beans, orange cauliflower (yes, orange........more on that later this week) and lots of garlic. And a bowl of homemade potato leek soup.

Tonight, chicken with the rest of the long beans, some garlic and ricecakes. I threw everything into the skillet at the same time then added soy sauce, sesame oil and sriracha hot sauce. While this all cooked, I boiled the ricecakes. (These aren't the puffed rice type of cake you find in the snack aisle. These are disc shaped noodles made of rice flour that when cooked are a bit chewier than pasta but add a nice texture to what ever you add them to. ) Once the ricecakes were done, I drained them and added them to the stir fry. Each plate was topped with a little sprinkling of fried shallots and some sesame seeds. And it was tasty.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger PatL said...

So, is a rice cake something you buy at the grocery store, or do you make them yourselves? I never heard of them! Where do you get them, they sound interesting!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

If you have an Asian grocery in your area, check in the freezer or refrigerated section for these. There are also some online web sites that sell them. Here's one that I found: http://www.kgrocer.com
Search for Rice Cake.

8:05 AM  
Blogger PatL said...

Believe it or not, we actually do have an Asian grocery here in Podunk! It's the influence of the college & hospital, more ethnic Asians up here than you might notice at first glance. Thanks, next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll look for them!

6:57 PM  
Blogger PatL said...

I was in the neighborhood of our Asian grocery on election day, so I stopped in. They don't have much in their refrigerated section, and no freezer. So, no rice cakes up here. I expect to be in a larger town next weekend, I'll poke around & see if I can find them there.

The trials and tribulations of living in Podunk!

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home