You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Hangover breakfast

by Jim (a.k.a. Biscuit Boy)
No, we're not hungover. This dish, however, may be the ultimate hangover breakfast food ever. Backstory is that a few years ago we were out sampling various tapas places, planning one for dinner and one for brunch the next day. Well, the one for dinner was near an Irish pub, and after sangria with dinner, a cocktail, then several beers at the Irish pub, I was drunk. How drunk? Well, not so bad that night, but the next morning I had a raging hangover.

However, being game, I decided we'd go ahead and hit the Spanish tapas place, Jaleo, for brunch. The best dish I had that day was a combination of Spanish chorizo, fried potatoes, and a poached egg on top. Ah, comfort food I can keep down.

I kept meaning to try to make it at home, but we had not had luck with the chorizo I had found previously, and then forgot about it until I found some small chorizos at a gourmet market a few weeks ago. Getting the potatoes ready for frying was easy, a quick dice, then boil until done. Drain, then into the skillet with hot olive oil. A mistake was putting the chorizo in then as well. While it rendered out its reddish fat, making the potatoes nice and red, it also cooked too long and too hot, making it crunchy. Barbara liked it, but then she likes crispy bacon too. Otherwise, it was tasty.

Topping it is a couple of poached eggs. The first egg was a disaster. The water was boiling, it had been vinegared to set the whites, but we thought we were supposed to get the water swirling to hold the egg together. I had it swirling so fast that we ended up with the white of the egg being shredded by the water, and got something that looked like egg drop soup. Second try, without swirling, was a success. Here's a good description from Jaques Pepin. Since we are going to eat them now, ignore the part about icewater, and instead place the eggs onto a plate with a paper towel to blot off the excess water. They were cooked a little too long but were very tasty and still somewhat runny. Next time I'll only cook the eggs for 3 minutes, not 4-5 minutes.










Huevos, papas, y chorizo

2 potatoes

1 1/2 oz. Spanish chorizo (a small link)

4 eggs for poaching

Olive oil for pan frying

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chorizo, poached eggs, and fried potatoes are definitely a great combination--and perfect for those rough mornings. I've had it out at restaurants before, but I've never tried it at home. I may have to follow your recipe and give it a shot.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

To the anonymous commenter who's comment I deleted: If you are serious about wanting people to check out your website, you wouldn't do so anonymously. With all the spam out there these days, one can never be too careful. Anonymous comments like yours will always be deleted from my blogs. Sorry, just the way it is.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sorry, that was me who posted on your blog. Well I looked for an email and couldn't find one and I didn't mean to just post the link and scarper off... I've been around many blogs and it's taken hours and hours lol...

ANYWAY as for this blog its pretty cool although like most blogger accounts it's a little difficult to search for what I want because there aren't any categories...

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I like my poached eggs a little overcooked like that anyway. Just a little runny. Looks good -- anything with chorizo does to me.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

looks awesome -- my husband would love this one. :)

I'm going to ignore obvious and lame comments by people who complain about how blogger is set up. Ugh.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi biscuit girl,
coming out of bloyeurism to say hello and how nice it is to know decent food blogs exist in DC that aren't just restaurant reviews gushing about komi or citronelle. i hope to visit more often...
cheers,
c

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there,
I have started a similar project just like yours on the net, my goal is to have decent links to all recipe sources on the net.
I have divided my recipes by the continent.
Probably by the end of January 2007 I should complete my project.
I saw your site in my research and I appreciate your work because I know the degree of work that it involves due to the large number of garbage material out there.

Please check me out from time to time and use the material as you wish.

http://www.lunchtruckparts.com/food%20main%20link.htm


Regards,


Arthur

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home