You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Biscuit Boy goes shopping

Grant Mart is one of the wonderful Asian groceries in our area. We usually buy all our fruit and vegetables there. I sent Biscuit Boy there today to pick up a few things while I cleaned the house in preparation for having friends over tomorrow night. I'm making Green Curry with Chicken.

It's a dish I haven't made in a while. Don't know why either because it's really good. It's one of those dishes that you make and have plenty of leftovers and it usually tastes better the second day.

I am making the dish today because of that and I won't have to worry about cooking tomorrow. All I'll need to do is set a table, warm up the Green Curry and wait for hungry guests to arrive.


I had almost everything on hand except for the chicken and the green curry base. So I sent Biscuit Boy to the store with a list. He had way too much fun shopping. Not only did he hit Grand Mart but he managed to get in a stop at Total Wine and bought Thai beer for tomorrow's dinner, some K cider for me, some Murphy's Irish Stout for him and a case of various wine.

But more about that later.
This is today's haul from Grand Mart. Not our biggest shopping spree but still a nice selection of goodies to tide us over for a while.
His haul consists of: Red leaf lettuce, parsley, basil, green onion, garlic, shallots, dried baby shrimp, red bell pepper, red new potatoes, yellow onion, limes, coconut milk (to replace what I used in the curry), green curry paste, button mushrooms, serrano peppers, and king mushrooms.
Grand Mart
6255 Little River Turnpike
Alexandria, VA

I'll try to post on dinner tomorrow and include pics of the finished dish.

But back to the shopping trip to Total Wine. Biscuit Boy said I should never let him go to Total Bevereage when he's thirsty. And now I know why. In addition to the 4-pack of Murphy's Stout and 6-pack of K, he bought 2 6-packs of Singha Beer for tomorrow's dinner. On top of that he bought wine, lots of wine. Not that I'm complaining. But I think we're gonna need a bigger wine rack.....

He bought a bottle of Naia Verdejo, Tres Ojos Old Vine, Onix Priorat, Panarroz Jumilla, Spier Chenin Blanc, Carro Tinto, Golden Kaan Pinotage, Indaba Chenin Blanc, Laurel Glen Reds, Chappellet Dry Chenin Blanc, Bonny Doon Pacific Rim Dry Riesling, and Cline
Ancient Vines Mourvèdre.

Total Wine
6240 Little River Turnpike
Alexandria, VA

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see pictures of this- green curry is one of my favorites. What are the dried baby shrimp for? Does Thai cooking use shrimp flavoring in their curry?

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't use them in the curry. They do show up in Pad Thai, and the green papaya/green mango salads. I'm curious about using them in my Chinese cooking. Chef Peter Chang, formerly of TemptAsian, now of Szechuan Boy/China Gourmet, uses them to season the broth that his wontons are served in.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home