You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Sunday, March 05, 2006

In Braise of Beef & other fine food

Biscuit Boy took good care of me this weekend. After working a 6-day week, still trying to get my asthma back under control and going to the doc to figure out why my right index finger is numb, I was quite exhausted. And the prospect of more x-rays and tests for the finger all await me next week.......ugh.

Tonight, he fixed braised beef shanks. We found these two beauties in the store today and knew that instant what would be on our dinner plates tonight.
A quick sear of both sides, some sauteed onion, garlic, and celery, and some red wine then off to simmer happily for the next 2 1/2 hours.When it was done the meat just fell apart. It was even better than the last braise he made. While it was cooking, I made a loaf of beer bread (Thanks Susan over at Farmgirl Fare, I used your recipe with the garlic-herb variation) and Biscuit Boy made some homemade oven fries. We're full and content, even the dog who got one of the two bones. I think she's in marrow heaven.

And if tonight's meal wasn't pampering enough, Biscuit Boy took me to Corduroy after I got off work yesterday. We were already planning to eat dinner out last night but hadn't decided where. After some e-mails back and forth to each other, we settled on Corduroy. So after I got off work, biscuit Boy and I drove into DC. We originally just planned on sitting in the bar area and nibbling on items from the bar menu. Those plans changed after we started talking about how good our meal was there three weeks ago. They did have free tables so we went for it....dinner in the dining room.

It was just as good as our last trip. We shared a salad of micro greens (I think they were called Bulls Blood greens?) baby beets, baby carrots, and onion on a thin disk of goat cheese. It was light and refreshing. There was a light bitterness to the greens that was balanced out by the sweetness in the carrots and beets.
Biscuit rating: 4 biscuits

For our entrees, I got pheasant served with French Lentils. It came out on an oblong plate. On either end was a rich, almost demi-glace like sauce. In the center sat a leg of pheasant topped with a the breast on top of a pool of creamy, thyme laced lentils which were hemmed in by a thin ring of mashed potatoes. The skin on the breast piece was crunchy and slightly salted and way too good. The meat was a little on the drier side of being done but not too dry to enjoy.
Biscuit rating: 3.5 biscuits

Hubby got Loin of Venison with a chestnut puree and vegetables. The meat was nearly fork tender and quite delicious. I was very surprised with the chestnut puree. I didn't think I liked them but what ever Chef Tom Power did to these may have converted me. Smooth, creamy, slightly sweet and nothing like the last chestnuts I ate.
Biscuit rating: 4.5 biscuits

Too full for dessert, Biscuit Boy opted for a glass of whiskey from the bar. I needed something sweet to end the meal and studied the dessert menu. Apple tart, had it already. Chocolate sabayon, had it already. Cheese plate, not sweet. Sorbet, hmmm....nah. Oh...what have we here....chocolate tart with caramelized bananas. MMM, chocolate. I ordered it.

It was similar to the sabayon being served warm but it was a much darker, bittersweet chocolate. The caramelized banana slices were topped with a little scoop of chocolate ice cream. I liked the darker chocolate better but wasn't that thrilled with the almost tasteless pastry crust that formed the tart. Nor was I that enamored with the bananas. But I still managed to eat all of it. I think I'd get the sabayon over this one next time I wanted a chocolate dessert.
Biscuit rating: 3 biscuits

I think I'm ready to face next week.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! That was a very nice meal. Biscuit Boy is a real hero. Hope your asthma improves soon.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Hope everything is ok with your finger. Fingers can be pretty important; I broke one once and it was a major pain for months.

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My finger does that too....dun-no what is causing it.....you hear od "tennis-elbow", "turf-toe"...well I call mine "mouse-finger" LOL...LOL

9:16 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

Hope you're feeling better ... I have asthma too, and it sucks. As for the finger, have you thought about Carpel Tunnel Syndrome? My mom's whole hand has been numb and she had it checked out recently, and sure enough, CTS. Turns out that's also a symptom of underactive thyroid, which she also found out she has. I've had that for close to 9 years now - always happy to share the medical burden with the rest of the family. Hang in there...

8:18 AM  
Blogger Lexi said...

that meat looks delish!!!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

At age 39 I'm finally starting to explore life in the kitchen. I prefaced my question with that so you'd know you're dealing with a food-neophyte here! What kind of wine was used... a specific cooking wine or something you had waiting to be uncorked?

11:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

We used an inexpensive but tasty little wine from Trader Joe's called Didgeridoo, a cab/shiraz blend. And at $4 a bottle quite a good deal for both drinking and using in cooking.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home