You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Pizza Lust

Biscuit Boy has a way with pizza. And as someone who spent her formative years in New York and knows good pizza, I must say that Biscuit Boy's rank right up there with the very best. We buy our dough from Trader Joe's, a bargain at 79 cents a bag.

Most times we'll have cheese pizza or cheese, pepperoni and mushroom. And every so often, Biscuit Boy gets a wild hair up his derriere and gets creative. Last week he tried to make his own version of a pizza he and a friend had at Matchbox. It was called Fire & Smoke. It's a pizza topped with fire roasted red peppers, sweet onions, chipotle pepper tomato sauce with smoked gouda & fresh basil and very spicy. His version was ok but I wasn't as sold on it as he was.

Today, he e-mails me at work to see if I wanted pizza for dinner rather than the last of the Green Curry. It would mean a trip to Trader Joe's for me after work but I said sure. The shopping list he gave me consisted of pizza dough, prosciutto and a bag of Quattro Frommagio (a blend of Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina and Provalone cheeses).

While I was getting these ingredients, he was going to caramelize some onion and roast garlic. Once I got home, he cut pizza dough in half and stretched it out. Next he smeared some of the roasted garlic on the dough added some cheese, tossed on some prosciutto (which I had sliced into thin strips) and added some of the onions.

He cooked them in 485 degree oven on a pizza stone for about 13 minutes each. Then after they cooled for a minute or two, we set upon them like a pack of hungry wolves. In fact, it was only after we finished the last piece and were licking our fingers that I realized we didn't get a picture of these beauties. But not to worry, it was so good, I'm gonna get him to make these again.......soon.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger ScottE. said...

That's sounds really good and worth a trip to the nearest Trader Joes for the dough. Thanks for sharing.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Brunette said...

Sounds luscious! A co-worker of mine also swears by Trader Joe's pizza dough- I ought to try some.

Your second recipe reminds me of a pizza recipe I found in Cooking Light: saute 8 oz cremini mushrooms and a quarter cup of chopped shallots with 1 clove of garlic (minced) and sherry vinegar and fresh thyme to taste. Bake pizza dough for 4 minutes at 450. Spread the mushroom mixture over the crust; sprinkle with sliced prosciutto and grated fontina cheese. Bake for 6 more minutes for a great dinner- and the leftovers aren't bad either!

8:34 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Pizza is absolutely one of my favourite meals, and this sounds like a great version!

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh, They keep promising to bring Trader Joe's to our town.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home