You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Monday, May 01, 2006

Chicken Shawarma

Looking through the fridge this weekend I found a jar of tahini paste that was about half full. Hmm....what can I do with this? I already made some hummus with it and wanted to try something new.

A quick search on the Internet came up with a few temptations but the one that caught my eye was a Chicken Shawarama recipe with a garlic-tahini sauce. It was on Food TV so I figured it was a pretty reliable recipe, right? Uh, well almost.

The recipe actually had two parts, one for the marinade for the chicken and the other for the garlic-tahini sauce. I noticed the following disclaimer at the bottom of the page: "This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results." That should have told me to look at some more recipes before I went any further, but I didn't because I also read the recipe's one review that mentioned the marinade needed more garlic. Well that seems like an an easy fix. Guess I'll give it a try. The marinade smelled wonderful and went together very quickly. I placed the chicken in a bag poured in the marinade and set in in the fridge to marinate overnight. So far so good.

But when I went to make the sauce, something wasn't right. In fact, it was downright awful! The recipe called for three cups of water to be added to a mixture of tahini, garlic and lemon juice. And having never made this before, I decided to follow the recipe.

How can I describe the result? Imagine if you will a frothy thin watered down greul with a faint hint of sesame. Yeah, it was bad.

After tossing that mess down the drain, I did what I should have done earlier, check some more recipes. And sure enough, I found several that were vastly different from the Food TV version. Using a combination of a few recipes I made a sauce that was pretty tasty.

Here's my garlic-tahini sauce recipe. I have no idea if it's even remotely authentic so if anyone has a better version, I'd love to have a copy.

Garlic-Tahini sauce
1 cup tahini sauce
2 tbsp. garlic powder
8 oz plain lowfat yogurt
1 tsp. parsley flakes
salt to taste
water, as needed

Combine the tahini, garlic powder, yogurt and parsley in a bowl and whisk to blend. Add salt to taste. Add water as needed to get a spoonable consistency.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger s'kat said...

I've stayed away from many Food Network recipes that have that disclaimer. Why post the recipe if you can't account for the result? Too bad you wasted the time and effort.

10:05 AM  
Blogger sylvie1950 said...

Look at it in the positive side, next time you see a recipe with a disclaimer, you'll think twice.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Dough-Boy said...

Yea, I've steered away from the "untested" recipes. Unless it's got one of the Food Netowrk chef's name on it, I usually pass on it.

You should blog on the Adventures of Martha Stewart you had many years back. And that was a tested recipe, according to them. LOL.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack!! I hate when that happens. They should test them, I don't care if there is a disclaimer. Your recipe looks good.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its perfect, but instead of adding water, add lemon juice... lemon juice is one of the key ingredients in a good tahini sauce... just an fyi

9:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anonymous, Thanks for the tip! I'll use lemon juice next time I make this.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home