You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Monday, September 18, 2006

Five things to eat before you die

I'm still working on getting my post vacation post written up but in the meantime I've been tagged by Pat over at Up a Creek without a PatL for the Five to Eat Before You Die meme.

So without further ado.....

5. Kobe Beef - These critters are massaged, fed sake and beer and lead a pampered, stressfree life. The meat is reputed to be the most tender and flavorful in the world. Serve me up a fillet please.

4. Key Lime Pie from The Blonde Giraffe. We' eat our share of key lime pie whenever we're in Florida. It's almost a tradition to get a slice after dinner and if we're too full, we have the restaurant box it to go then have it later on that night. And while most are good, there is one that just blew me away. Blonde Giraffe. They're only located in the Keys and Miami area so if you're ever down that way, find one of their shops. So why is this one so much better? The typical key lime pie is made with a graham cracker crust and sometimes topped with a little whipped cream. Blonde Giraffe's is made with a cookie dough crust and topped with meringue. But it's not all about the crust and topping. The balance between tart and sweet in the filling is prefect.

3. Dinner at French Laundry. Continuously one of the top rated restaurants in the U.S. Friends of ours went on their honeymoon last year and raved about it. I bet they can still describe what they had in minute detail, it was just that good.

2. Oysters from the Galway Oyster Festival - This was Jim's pick. I'm not much of an oyster fan but he is and has wanted to go to Ireland for this annual event for several years now. All I can say is that once his plane hits Irish soil, the oysters better be scared. I've seen him do some serious damage to a tray of raw oysters many a time in Florida.

1. Truffles. No, no the chocolate variety, the fungus kind that are found underground by pigs. I recently bought some Wegman's Olive Oil infused with Black Truffle (and has two little pieces of truffle in the bottle) and oh.......my....god....... Is there anything this stuff doesn't taste good on?? Seriously! The first thing I tried it on was some pizza crust. Heaven. Then we put some on a scallop dish. Bliss. There was also my first attempt at risotto that I added a few drops of oil to at the end. Smack your mama good! Now there are some olive oils on the market that say they are flavored with truffle and they may indeed smell like there is truffle flavor in the bottle but one taste will leave you wondering where's the truffle? All you taste is olive oil. Get the stuff from Wegman's if there's one in your area or find some good stuff online.

I can only imagine how good using actual truffles in a dish must taste if that oil is so yummy.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger PatL said...

It's funny, after I posted my list, I thought, "Oooo, I should have said truffles!" I've had them shaved over a dish once, but in such a teensy amount that I truly couldn't taste them. Thanks for the Wegman's recommendation. We don't have one nearby, but it's worth looking into.

And welcome back!!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Dough-Boy said...

Ah Yes...Blonde Giraffe key lime pie...But don't forget they also have key lime pie on a stick - dipped in choclate. So now you can have your pie and walk with it too...

8:42 AM  
Blogger Fiber said...

I'm thoroughly obsessed with truffles lately. Although I don't think the food budget will stretch to buy an entire truffle, I am so into the infused olive oil.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot one- Foie Gras. Simply the most amazing delicacy on earth.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home