You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Chicken Tikka and Cheesecake

I decided to clean out the freezer today. Among the frozen stash were several packs of ground beef (good for a quick burger or mapo tofu), some frozen strawberries (margatira time!), 2 half used bags of edamame and lots of chicken.

After reorganizing most of the stuff, I pulled some of the chicken out to use for dinner. And as luck would have it, we had two small containers of plain yogurt in the fridge. I looked through a few recipes I had on hand and found one for Chicken Tikka.

I had all the ingredients so dinner was planned.
It was so easy to put together and I'm sure we'll make it again. The flavors were bright and well balanced and the chicken stayed juicy and tender. Next time I will make up some kind of yogurt sauce or spicy sauce to dip it in.

For dessert, cheese cake with fresh blueberry sauce.


Chicken Tikka
¾ teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
2 cups whole-milk yogurt
6 garlic cloves, chopped

1 (1½”) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 ½ teaspoons salt

¾ teaspoon ground turmeric

½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne
5 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes

Purée all ingredients except chicken in a blender until spices are well ground.

Put chicken in a large bowl, or divide between 2 large sealable plastic bags, and add yogurt mixture, stirring or turning to coat. Marinate chicken, covered and chilled (turning occasionally if using bags), at least 4 hours. (You can marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours if you like)

You can skewer the chicken and grill it or use an iron skillet grill pan to cook the pieces individually. Heat turning over once, until browned in spots and just cooked through, 9 to 12 minutes total.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger PatL said...

My favorite thing to do with chicken and yogurt is spicy peanut chicken stew (you can vary the spiciness). Maybe not something you'd want to eat on a hot summer day, but maybe you have air conditioning so it won't matter!

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love chicken tikka!! You have inspired me to use up some of the things in my fridge and pantry that are long overdue to be used!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Abster said...

That cheesecake is calling out to me...

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me make you some chicken soup!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home