You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Comfort Food - Cheese Grits Casserole

I'll fill you in later this week about the reason I made a Cheese Grits Casserole. For now, just a quick picture and recipe.

Cheese Grits Casserole

4 cups water
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
2 large eggs
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°. Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add grits, stirring constantly. Cover and simmer 8 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat. Add 1 cup cheese and butter, stirring until cheese melts.

Combine milk and next 3 ingredients (milk through eggs), stirring with a whisk. Stir milk mixture into grits mixture. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese; bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Let grits stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Thanks for the recipe - now I won't have to ask for it! I can smugly say I was there, I ate it, and it was DELICIOUS!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

thank goodness for comfort food, this looks good enough to dive into! great idea for a quick dinner one night this fall.

thanks for the great reading :)

lindsay

1:46 PM  
Blogger DC Food Blog said...

Oh. MY. GOD. My mother in law makes this and it's the best thing ever. She uses a log of garlic flavored velveeta.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe - I love cheese, I love grits, and this is definitely getting made tonight because I have all the ingredients waiting for me. Of course I may just have to add a few things like some chopped mushrooms and peppers.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home