You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Lobster Risotto

I've been neglecting my blog again but I hope this is the last time I do so. I've got all sorts of yummy recipes and pictures just waiting for me to post them. So baby, I'm back! And with style.

Usually when I have a Friday off, Jim and I take advantage of it by planning to meeting in DC for dinner. But yesterday we decided to have a nice dinner at home. I had all day to prepare it so I didn't feel rushed and wanted to do something I normally wouldn't do on a average work night.

A while ago I bought some frozen lobster stock and wanted to use it in the meal somehow. A soup first came to mind but what won out was a risotto made with it rather than the usual chicken stock. And why not make it totally indulgent and add some lobster claws and morel mushrooms? A quick trip to Slavin and Sons for the lobster and I knew somewhere in the pantry I had a bag of dried morels.

But I wanted a veg to go with it. That's when I remembered that I had the mother of all yellow squash in the fridge. Last week the Egg Man* stopped by and tossed this baby in with my order 'just because'. I'd been scratching my head over what to do with the mutant beast and then it came to me......fried it up like a you would a green tomato. A little cornmeal, salt and pepper to coat and a quick fry in the skillet. Yum!
*This is actually a new Egg Man, the former one I wrote about a couple of years ago passed this past November.

Jim came home a few minutes earlier than planned which worked out great as I was in the midst of cooking the risotto and had no free hands to cook the squash. He jumped into action and the meal came together beautifully. I tossed some of the small bits of lobster meat into each serving and placed a whole piece of claw meat on top, plated up the fried yellow squash and put it all on the table. Add a nice bottle of Aria Cava and dinner was ready.
And it was Dee-lish-us! I'll post the recipe for the risotto tomorrow.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger devinoni said...

OH MY GOODNESS, that entire dinner looks amazing! Perhaps you should test it out on company sometime soon? I'll buy the lobster meat! :)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

You know, I was thinking the same thing. :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What a delicious looking dinner!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Dough-Boy said...

Great-googly-moogly, that's a HUGE squash.

8:58 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

That is indeed one mighty squash, but you gave it a fine send-off.

Although, my paltry little pb&j I'm nibbling at my desk just isn't cutting it anymore...

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Wowee! When you come back, you sure do it with style! If Devinoni brings the lobster, I'll bring the arborio rice and the shrooms.

You'll soon find a whole crowd at your door, each bearing an ingredient for dinner. But, mwa-ha-ha, I know where you live! :-D

4:28 PM  
Blogger PatL said...

I am so glad to get an idea of what to do with those doggone yellow squashes. I'm not a fan of them, but the Huz loves them and always plants a few plants in our garden, where they take up huge amounts of space and produce copious quantities of the things. You may not know why the Egg Man tossed one in, but I sure do! I'm gonna to try this recipe, you better believe it! Thanks, Barbara.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

For some reason, your picture of the Lobster Risotto reminds me of the Oliver Stone / Michael Caine movie called 'The Hand'.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Cookie baker Lynn said...

It's just not fair putting up a picture of that lobster claw when I can't have any! It looks wonderful! Good luck on the challenge.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home