You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Monday, May 28, 2007

Bialy's

Sorry for the long delay in posting since we returned from vacation. Between work and visiting family, I just haven't had the time. I plan to do better now that things are settling back to a normal pace.

Today I am trying my hand at a bialy recipe I first made two weekends ago. I found the recipe in a cookbook that was on our shelves in the library. I picked the book off the shelf, opened it up and there in front of me was a recipe for bialy's. Now there's a sign if I ever saw one. I love bialy's but trying to find a good one in these parts isn't as easy as you would think. They're not as popular as their cousins, the bagel and few places carry them (or if they do, have ones that even come close to the ones I used to get in NY).

I scanned the recipe and it looked promising so while my mom was here we tried our hands at making a batch. They turned out ok but were way too small. The recipe said to divide the dough into 24 pieces. But other than that, the taste and texture was dead on. The only changes I would make is to reduce the number it makes to 12 and to cut back on the cooking time.

I've got a batch in their final rising right now and they look perfect. Once the oven heats up, I'll pop them in for about 15 minutes or until they look done, Then let them cool before we eat them (which is so hard to do with fresh baked bread).

I'll up date the post this evening with some pictures of the finished bialy's.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my girl. Your momma is proud of you and Jim of course.

1:18 PM  
Blogger The Egg said...

I never heard of bialy's. Now I want to try them!

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home