You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Friday, March 18, 2005

Comfort food, Chinese style


It's been a long week. Biscuit Boy and I were torn between going out to eat or just staying in. The temptation of having someone else fix our dinner was only outweighed by the thought of having to actually get in the car, drive somewhere, eat, then drive home. That would take more effort than either of us wanted to expend.

I knew we had the fixin's for a great big bowl of Mapo Tofu. Ahhhh, Chinese comfort food. I also had what I needed to try out a new dish, pressed bean curd with cilantro and peanuts in hot sauce. We get this appetizer everytime we eat at a place called A & J's. It's probably the best bargain in town. Biscuit Boy and I can feast there and not spend more than $20. Our usual fare consists of the pressed bean curd dish I just mentioned, cucumbers with a hot garlic sauce, a big bowl of spicy beef noodle soup, an order of pan fried dumplings and a scallion pancake.

I have been trying to perfect a recipe for the scallion pancake and I think I am pretty close to the ones we get at A&J's. Now I wanted to tackle the bean curd dish.

I bought a small pack of extra firm bean curd and shredded it onto a plate. Then sprinkled it with some peanuts and pieces of cilantro. That much was easy. Trying to replicate the spicy sauce will take a few more tries. Tonight I tried a little chili oil, sesame oil and soy sauce. It was ok but I think I can do better. It will mean some more in depth research at A&J's to do it. Darn, how will I break the news to Biscuit Boy?

But at least my first attempt was edible. There was nary a crumb left on the plate, just a little puddle of sauce......and Biscuit Boy - chopsticks in hand - thinking about picking up the plate and licking it clean. Not a problem for me.....I was tempted to lick the Mapo Tofu bowl. Fair trade, if you ask me.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

Mmmm almost pad thai... Love your blog name and pseudo-name!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Which mapo tofu recipe do you use. I've wanted to try making it a home for a while. Thanks for the link. I'll post one for your site soon.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I use one from the Fuschia Dunlop book "Land of Plenty". It's on page 331 (I think). I made a few modifications to the recipe which I put in an earlier post of just recipes. Scroll down a bit and you'll find it. If you decide to try it, let me know if you like it. It's become a favorite of ours.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home