You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Friday, May 12, 2006

Kao Soi (a.k.a. Thai comfort food)

We both love Asian food, especially Thai. One of our all time favorite places to eat is Rabieng which serves more country style Thai food. Their menu has items we’ve never seen anywhere else and it’s all good. Check it out for yourselves.

Among the favorites on their menu is a dish called Provincial Chicken. The Thai name for the dish is Kao Soi (pronounced cow-soy). It’s in a word, soothing. Tender chunks of chicken simmered in a curry sauce laced with coconut milk and served over thin egg noodles. It’s then garnished with crispy fried egg noodles, chopped pickled cabbage and red peppers.

Combine our love of cooking and ethnic foods with my job as a librarian and you get an endless supply of cookbooks in my house at any given time. In addition to the ones I own, I’m constantly bringing home new ones from work to look through. Occasionally we’ve found one we like so much, we go out and buy our own copy. One such cookbook is Quick and Easy Thai: 70 everyday recipes by Nancie McDermott.


I got a copy from the library last Friday and was reading through it while we drove into DC for dinner. It looked promising. The beautiful color pictures throughout the cookbook can easily make one hungry. I read out several recipe titles to Biscuit Boy who agreed this was a nice cookbook. Then I saw it, a recipe for Kao Soi. Our beloved Provincial Chicken there in all it’s glory! A mental head slap when I realized the picture on the cover of the cookbook was the Kao Soi and dang it looked good.


On Sunday, we made it and it was delicious! Warm, soothing, and rich in flavor. This recipe’s definitely a keeper and will be one we will make many more times.
Here’s how ours turned out. And with Nancie McDermott's permission (Thank you Nancie), here is the recipe:

Kao Soi

2 tbsp. veg oil

1 tbsp. finely chopped garlic

2 tbsp red curry paste or panaeng curry paste

3/4 pounds boneless chicken, cut in big bite-sized chunks
or boneless beef, such as tri-tip or flank steak, thinly
sliced crosswise into 2-inch strips

2 Cups unsweetened coconut milk

1-3/4 cups chicken broth

2 tsp. ground tumeric or curry powder

2 Tbsp. dark soy sauce or soy sauce

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. salt

2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice

1 pounds fresh Chinese-style egg noodles,
or ½ pound dried Chinese-style egg noodles,
angel hair pasta, or spaghetti

1/2 Cup coarsely chopped shallots

1/2 Cup coarsely chopped cilantro

1/2 Cup thinly sliced green onions

Heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and then add the garlic. Toss well and add the red curry paste, mashing and stirring to soften it in the oil, about 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook 1 to 2 minutes, tossing now and then to brown it evenly and mix it with the curry paste. Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, turmeric, soy sauce, sugar, and salt and stir well. Bring to a gentle boil and adjust heat to maintain a lively simmer. Cook about 10 minutes, until meat is cooked through. Stir in lime juice, remove from heat, and cover to keep curry warm while you prepare the noodles.

Cook the noodles in a large pot of rapidly boiling water, until tender but still firm, as little as 2 minutes for fresh noodles and 7 minutes or more for dried. Drain, rinse well in cold water, drain again, and divide the noodles among individual serving bowls. Ladle on hot curry, and sprinkle each serving with the shallots, cilantro, and green onions. Serve hot.


Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Drea said...

This recipie looks amazing!!! I can't wait to try it!!!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds wonderful. So where did you go to dinner in D.C.? I'm going to blog about some of the places I ate, although I don't think I'm that good at restaurant reviews. I'm just not dedicated enough to take good notes when I'm there and then later I can't remember enough details. It's such a great town for restaurants.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kaylyn: We ate at Les Halles. I went back to the post and put in a link to my write up of the meal.

What if you just did a brief write up of the places you tried while you were here? Just the name of the place, general comments on whether you liked it or not.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that looks fabulous!!!!! You did good.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy! That looks great! Hey, thanks for the Knoxville recs. We'll update soon!

Thanks,

-J

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it! My husband and I love Rabieng! Definitely one of our top favorite places to eat. Love the Provincial Chicken and Chili Crusted Cod. In fact I just now googled for Thai Provincial Chicken to find a recipe so I can recreate it at home and this page was the first one to pop up. What a coincident. Thanks for the help and I can't wait to make it!

-Mrs. C

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange that the recipe comes from a "Nancy". Can't say I heard that name too many times in my year in Thailand. I do look forward to trying this recipe out. Khao Soi is a tradition in the North and can be eaten for any and every meal. My absolute favorite!

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I just got back from Thailand and I was hooked on Kao Soi. I bought the noodles and curry paste there and brought them home to make it, but I thought I was going to have to "wing it", and then I came upon your recipe. Thank you! Now I feel confident I can recreate the dish we both loved.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home