You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Sauerbraten

Just a quick post as I am under the weather and really feel lousy.

I mentioned a couple of posts ago about all the wonderful meals we ate while visiting my family over Christmas. One of the meals was an old German dish that my mom learned to make from her mother. She never wrote down the recipe, it's all been stored in her head. I've watched her make enough times that I think I could make it on my own.

We neglected to get a picture of the meal but mom had leftovers and after reheating a plateful the other night, took this picture for me to post.
The potato dumplings have a hidden surprise in the middle, homemade croutons sauteed with butter and onions. Nice. The meat is so tender it flakes apart. Pickled red cabbage is our choice of sides although I've seen it served with sauerkraut. Either one is fine with me. And lastly the sweet-tangy sauce that is served over the meat and dumplings. The sweet comes from crushed gingersnaps and the tangy comes from the vinegar used to marinate the meat.

And on a totally unrelated note, don't forget to keep voting for Sophie and Walker (see the previous post). You can vote more than once a day! So vote early and often. Now I'm heading back to bed......

And one year ago...... Thai Mango Salad

3 Comments:

Blogger PatL said...

Oh, poor baby! "Does it huuht and hab a tempachur?" (Am I making an idiot of myself? That was an attempt to quote an old, old commercial which you may never have seen!)

Here's to feeling chipper soon.

And if you plan to attempt the sauerbraten feast, I do hope you plan to blog the recipes!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better very soon!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

feel better soon!

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home