You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Mussels

Once a month I have to get an allergy shot. And as luck would have it, Slavins & Sons Seafood is a short drive from the doctor's office. I usually plan to stop by there after my shot to get some fresh fish or seafood for dinner. The fresh mussels have been so good that for the past few months, that's all I've gotten. And can you blame me? Just look at those plump buggers.

Jim's come up with a broth to steam them in that is absolutely wonderful. Basically it's olive oil, garlic shallots, thyme and a nice dry white wine. He sautees the garlic and shallots (both minced) in the olive oil until the shallots are translucent. Then he adds a pinch or two of freshly dried thyme and a cup of wine. Toss in the mussels, cover it up and steam for 5-8 minutes. Pour it all into a big bowl and serve.

Lately we've also had freshly made oven fries and crusty bread on the side. The bread is for sopping up all that yummy, yummy broth.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I love mussels!! The broth sounds so good too. I'll have to try it.

8:25 PM  
Blogger marias23 said...

Looks and sounds delicious. Now, if only I could get decent mussels in the seafood-deprived Midwest!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Freya said...

Yum, Moules and Frites. What I always order when I eat out!

3:21 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Give me some garlicky mussels and a nice loaf of bread, and I'm one happy girl!

That broth sounds just lovely- my mouth is watering!

11:47 AM  
Blogger PatL said...

I adore mussels, but I've always been intimidated by the instructions saying to "debeard" them. It's one of those things I have to watch someone do before I'll attempt it. So, I just get them at restaurants!

Have fun with your MM next week!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home