You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Monday, May 26, 2008

English Muffins

For Christmas, my in-laws gave me a cache of bread baking supplies. Among the lot was a set of eight English muffin rings that until today have sadly sat unused. I looked at several recipes before I settled on one I found by another blogger named Barbara at Wine and Foodies.

It was a very easy recipe to put together. Even though it said to let the dough rise overnight, you can actually cut that time down to 2-3 hours. Cooking them took about 30 minutes (15 minutes per side) but that time may vary depending on your stove.

The only change I'd make to the recipe isto divide the dough into 12 pieces instead of 8. The muffins are really tall like ones you can get from Wolferman's. I think a slightly thinner muffin may be more to my liking but that may change after we give these a taste test in the morning.
English Muffins

2 teaspoons yeast
½ teaspoon sugar
8½ ounces warm water
4¼ ounces warm milk
2¼ cups high grade flour
2¼ cups standard flour
1 teaspoon salt
fine cornmeal

Put the yeast and sugar in a small bowl with half the warm water. Stir and set aside for a few minutes, then add the remaining water and the milk.

Put the flour and salt in a large bowl and use your hand to mix in the yeast, water and milk mixture. Knead the mixture which will be sticky, thoroughly in the bowl (or use the dough hook of an electric mixer).

Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and set aside to rise until more than doubled in bulk. Although this may take only a couple of hours, the dough can be allowed to rise overnight. Deflate the dough by pulling it away from the sides of the bowl. Lift it out of the bowl and divide into 8 pieces.

Drop each piece on to a tray liberally dusted with rice flour or fine cornmeal and roll them over until well coated. Form each piece into a thick disc.Place the disks on a baking tray and place another tray on top.Leave to rest and rise 20 minutes, then remove top tray.

Place a cast iron griddle or large frying pan over low heat. When only moderately hot place four of the muffins on it and cook for about ten minutes until light beige on the bottom. Turn the muffins over and cook the second side for a similar length of time.
Wrap the cooked muffins in a dry tea towel while you cook the remaining four. Pull apart and eat while still warm.

For toasting pull the muffins apart and toast on both sides.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbara, I am so very sorry to hear about Sophie. I have also heard dogs do well with radiation and God bless her little soul, I hope she gets through it okay. She is so beautiful and her little soul shines through in her pictures. Wishing you all the best. I do rescue work out here in AZ and your article on Sophie touched me.

11:28 PM  
Blogger ScottE. said...

I'm am totally intrigued! Can you show the English Muffin rings? I didn't know there were special tools for English Muffins and now I want them and want to make these!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Scott, I didn't think of that. I'll put up a shot of them tonight with a toasted muffin.

Had one this morning, it was delish!

10:54 AM  
Blogger maybelles mom said...

Fun...

8:42 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I have been wanting to make English muffins for ages and never got around to making a recipe but I will definitely be using yours (and very soon). Do you think that I could use short tin cans (with the tops and bottoms cut out) as the rings?

1:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Jen, I think you can use a tin can, even let them rise free form. Or roll the dough out as one piece, let it rise and use a large round biscuit cutter.

Let me know how it works out.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love English muffins, and have always wanted to make my own. Your muffins look delish. I read your recipe and saw it called for high grade flour and standard flour. Is standard flour an all-purpose flour? What is a high grade flour? Thanks for your help.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Hi Barbara I think your muffins look great. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. It isn't actually my recipe but originates with Marion Madox who is the wife of the Australian food historian Michael Symons as mentioned in my post. I wouldn't want to take credit for something that isn't mine.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Kitchen Corner said...

Hi,
You've got wonderful English Muffins. May I know the dough can be bake in the oven or not?

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home