You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Challah Bread French Toast

A few months ago I made challah bread with thoughts of French toast running through my head. Jim managed to save the last two pieces of the loaf for just that purpose and it was good, very, very good.

Well, the craving was back and with family in town it seemed like a good idea to make challah bread French toast for Sunday breakfast. So about 6 last night I pulled out the recipe and made some bread. It came out of the oven as we all were getting ready for bed and let me tell you, it's pretty dang hard to fall asleep with the aroma of fresh baked bread in the air.

Still, I managed to sleep and wake up looking forward to breakfast. Jim got up ahead of me and sliced some nice thick slices of bread and let them dry out a little before he made the French toast. And the recipe couldn't be any simpler.

Challah Bread French Toast
4 (3/4" thick) slices of challah bread
2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup of milk

2 tbsp powdered sugar

1 tsp salt

Whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and salt together and place in a shallow bowl. Lay the bread, one slice at a time in the egg mixture for a minute or so then flip it over and let it sit another minute. Place on a plate while you prepare all the slices.


Melt some butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Place the slices in the skillet and cook on each side until golden brown.
Serve with butter and maple syrup or honey. YUM!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

I haven't had french toast in ages -- yours looks delicious!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I am definitely trying that recipe. That looks fabulous! Thanks.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Neen said...

MMmmm does that look fabulously decadent. Even though my partner, Do, always does his absolute best to stuff himself silly whenever I make Challah, I think I could probably convince him to contain himself with the promises of your Challah French Toast.... Mmmm.... 3 more days till the weekend... Breakfast for dinner anyone?

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job!: )

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home