You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Cookbook Bonanza

My New Year's Resolution is to unclutter my house....beginning with my cookbook collection. I realized that I don't use near as many as I need and over the years my cooking styles and tastes have changed. Thus the many dusty tomes sitting on the shelves and not being used in as much as six years or at least since we moved to our house that many years ago.

I looked through every book and after the dust settled, literally, I pared down the collection from 6 shelves to just two. This has left me with quite a few books in need of a good home. And this is where you all come in. I will be putting some of my cookbooks on my blog and will give them to you. All you have to do is be the first one to ask for a certain title you see posted.

And why would I do this? Because I know that if you are reading my blog you like food and cooking (ok, and you like Sophie, but you can't have her, she's mine).

So stay tuned, I'll be busy taking pictures of the books that will soon be up for adoption and posting them here for your taking.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger s'kat said...

I'm going through a similar problem with my own burgeoning stacks. In fact, it has gotten even worse lately. One of my husband's clients was moving, and gave him about 70+ cookbooks, since she knows we like to cook.

When are you doing this? Perhaps I could join forces with you, and get a little spring cleaning done!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Sounds like a grand idea. I'll e-mail you about it.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a completely generous idea! We moved to a new house a year ago and prior to the move I got rid of a ton (and I mean A TON) of cookbooks. I gave them all away to various people (mostly on Freecycle). It was like letting a child go... it was so hard to do, but felt so freeing after it was done!

9:52 PM  
Blogger PatL said...

You clever girl, you! Can't wait to see the list. Interesting that you're getting more comments from folks interested in giving them away than in receiving them, so far! Have you considered selling them on Amazon? I've made a tidy sum in recent years getting rid of a lifetime's collection of books that will never be reread, and it feels a little like recycling to give a book to someone who will read it. Much like your initiative today!

5:39 AM  
Blogger ScottE. said...

I'm curious??? But really should shy away. And I just bought 3 more this weekend...naughty!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great--I too am overwhelmed with too many cookbooks (someone gave you 70+ s'kat???) but I still have a hard time parting with them. You're a much stronger cook than I am!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Sally JPA said...

I purged my cookbooks during a move last summer and found that I am much more likely to use my more limited repertoire. And my friends loved getting to pick from 2/3 of the ones I had, too!

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo IM DROOLING! Having only just recently discoverd a love for cooking I dont own even one cookbook. Ive been cooking recipes I search and find online and on foodnetwork!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be reading my mind...I had the same thought last week when I came across a box of cookbooks, and I could not recall how I came to have them or why I had bought them...I may do this with my "loved but no longer needed" books...

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow i am always 2 late...looked like a wonderful cookbook stash:)
I used to collect pre 1960 cookbooks...my dear X and I say, X
lost my entire storage unit with all 357 cookbks:(
Now I am going to start collecting again with a new theme...Church Cookbooks; Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Mennonite, EW NS, I don't care..I'm not prej!

This is a nice way to keep one's treasures passing:)
Take Care.
Angela in FL

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home