You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Rambutan

Rambutan, a fruit found in many Asian countries. The word "rambut" is Malay for 'hairy' which refers to the spiky rind. It looks like a lychee with spiky hair.

When opened it reveals a while flesh that surrounds an almond-like pit.

We first tried this fruit several years ago but weren’t impressed by it. Perhaps that’s because it was not fresh rambutan but canned. We finally had fresh ones while in Malaysia back in March. We found them to be quite delicious. Lightly sweet and mild in flavor, they are very refreshing on a hot day.We found these in a local Asian market over the weekend. At $6/pound they are a bit pricey but we went ahead and got a few anyway. We were not disappointed. Jim expertly opened them up and within minutes they were devoured. If you see these hairy little beasts in the market, get a half dozen or so and enjoy.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Suzana said...

Oh, those are so pretty! I'm afraid I never had one, and have no idea what they taste like.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are kind of weird looking to me...but I'm up for trying them out! I'll keep my eyes open for them!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

In your last pic, they look a little like lychee fruits once opened. Do they taste similar?

4:18 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Leah, they are a little similar in taste.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Fran Z said...

Now thats a new one for me!

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, to me they look scary on the outside:) the Inside it delicious though! yummy!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the taste of rambutan but I'm not a fan of the texture so I hardly ever buy them.

The outside is scary but the bristles are soft and kind of cool, aren't they?

7:41 PM  
Blogger me said...

Just FYI, Rambutan sold in US isn't really best quality one (even when we got it for the restaurant).

If you have any Chinatown nearby, you will find good fresh Rambutan with bright red color skin. Price is cheaper as well.

Or buy Rambutan in syrup (mostly produced in Thailand). It won't cost you more than $1.5 yet best quality and ready to use or just chill and eat right of the can.

You may find Pineapple stuffed rambutan in the can as well. Those are good.

I grew up eating it......

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home