You Gonna Eat All That?

A fork in one hand, a pen in the other.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

(Biscuit Girl)

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Peach Upsidedown Cake - revisited

Way back in the early days of my blog, I made a wonderful peach upsidedown cake. Two years later I find myself lusting over another batch of farm fresh peaches. Several recipes looked interesting but it was the same cake from July 2005 that spoke to me. This time I halved the peaches whereas last time I sliced them. Both ways work well and are equally delicious.

Peach Upside Down Cake
¼ cup butter

½ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and halved
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
1 egg
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk

Melt ¼ cup butter or margarine in an 8 inch square pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and nutmeg. Arrange peach halves, cut side down, in pan.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spread batter over peaches.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Remove cake from oven, and let stand in pan for 5 minutes; invert onto serving platter. Serve with whipped cream.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

sounds nice! i made pineapple upside-down pudding last time and i just baked apricot upside-down just today. yummy with cream. oh, i wish it's summer here, so i can use our homegrown peaches to make your cake!!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Ay carumba! That peach dish looks amazing!

I was walking down the street the other day when I noticed a few peaches lying around on the sidewalk. Thinking someone had dropped a grocery bag somewhere, I followed the trail and low and behold, there in the middle of the Bronx was a peach tree growing in somebody's front yard! In NYC? And it was full of ripe, delicious looking fruit! I couldn't believe it. Since this person had carelessly neglected the fruits of their tree, letting them roll lonely around the dirty city streets, I felt justified to snag a few for myself. But my morals took over and I didn't. But after reading this post and seeing this recipe I may have to go back there on a stealth mission tomorrow....

Nice blog. I pan to come back often.

Check us out too: www.foodvibe.blogspot.com

~Steve aka "he who foodvibes"

11:18 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

This post inspired me to make a plum upside down cake. Prune plums were abundant at the Kingstowne farmers market last week.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Your post totally inspired me to make one of these cakes. I got some plums from the market last week and used them for this:
http://piealamona.blogspot.com/2007/09/prune-plum-upside-down-cake.html

Thanks!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home